Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Striped Stairs and more...

Our back door entry and stairs going into our basement were pretty dingy and depressing. We had old paint, dark moldings, and paneling on the walls; and ugly flooring on the stairs.


So, we did a face-lift to brighten things up and make our entryway more appealing. I saw many pins on Pinterest of stripes on stairs and was very inspired. So, after removing the paneling, repairing the drywall, removing the linoleum flooring on the stairs, and painting the walls, we conquered the stripes. We love how they turned out!

stripes on stairsstripes on stairs

I also found this black (partial) light fixture (below on the left) at a flea market for only $8. My husband combined it with the light fixture pictured below (right) to make it complete. 


 Last, I painted the fixture gloss turquoise. I love how it turned out.


For the walls, I took this old coat hanger and repainted it. See the end result in the picture below.


Over the stairs, I pulled together a bunch of miscellaneous frames and mirrors and painted them to coordinate with the light fixture. I also made the paper wall medallions I saw on Better Homes & Gardens website.

chevron

Last, I painted the door with this quatrefoil template I found online. First, I taped off a rectangle on the door to paint the orange. Then, I used the template I found online to make a stencil. When I was ready to trace the image on the door, I used a paint marker to trace the image. Then I went over the traced image with a small detail brush a couple times. It's another fun detail I really like.

chevron



1 comment:

  1. Tammy, I LOVE those steps!!! The stripes are perfect and the color is to die for. I also dig the orange template you put on your back door. Very cool. Your blog is adorable. Can't wait to see what you've got cookin' up next. :)

    ReplyDelete