Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Accessorizing on the Cheap

We are getting ready to add built-ins in our office so I've kept my eyes out for options to accessorize them. 

I found these (ugly) canisters at Salvation Army a few weeks ago for 99 cents each. I really liked the shape and since they are wood, I knew I could easily do something with them. 


This was a pretty easy project. I removed the handles from the canisters, and lightly sanded everything. I knew I wanted yellow and white chevron stripes so instead of using paint, I decided to try decoupage. To prep the surface, I primed and painted the edges of the canisters and lids since I knew the paper wouldn't cover every inch. After finding printable chevron paper online, I printed it and cut the paper to fit on each side of the canisters and lids. I used Mod Podge to glue the paper onto the surface of the boxes. Then I put two coats of Mod Podge over the paper, closely following the directions on the bottle and waiting 15 minutes between coats. Finally, instead of using the old wooden handles/knobs, I installed glass knobs to the lids. 

I love how they turned out!

1 comment: