Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Guest blogger...Carolyn

A special thanks to a follower/friend for today's blog post. When Carolyn shared with me her great re-purpose project, I just had to share it! I just love seeing what wonderful creativity people have when it comes to re-purposing furniture! Here is what she said:


Tammy,
I thought you might like to see what we did with an old hutch we had.  We made a hanging bookshelf for our foyer.  I needed something for the space, it couldn't be deeper than 12 inches and I couldn't find anything in the furniture stores that I liked.  The picture of the hutch is a similar version of what we used. 


We took off the doors and filled in the screw holes.  We shortened the original top and used a piece of oak we had for the bottom shelf and added a 1x2 for facing.  We also took the back off because it just had a photo finish on fiberboard and replaced it with an oak beadboard.  I had to strip the top (where the crown molding is) and restain to a lighter color.  Since the top was hollow behind the crown molding we had to insert a piece of oak and bevel it on 3 sides so it would fit flush.  We painted the rest with a black satin paint.  We redrilled holes to hold the hardware for the glass shelf which was original.  The light kit under the top was original and we added a light kit below the bottom to shine down on the floor.  Works great for a night light when there are overnight guests.





No comments:

Post a Comment